Are you suffering from embarrassing foot odor? It can make you self-conscious, especially in small spaces like busses or airplanes, as well as at a friend’s house, where they may ask you to take your shoes off.
Don’t fret. The Podiatry Group can help! Our podiatrists have experience with all kinds of issues of the feet, and foot odor won’t scare us off. The main culprit for smelly feet and shoes is a growth of bacteria that festers in your socks and shoes when you sweat excessively. Bacteria love to grow in these dark and damp environments, leaving you with an embarrassing issue. Foot odor is more likely cause issue for hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating); other cases can arise from taking certain medications, experiencing hormonal changes, or enduring high stress.
Here are some tips on preventing and treating your stinky feet:
- Wash your feet with warm water and antibacterial soap each day to reduce bacteria.
- Your feet should be completely dry each time you put on a new pair of socks. Otherwise, you’ll keep the moistness on your feet and transfer surviving bacteria to the new pair.
- Wear moisture-wicking socks whenever you wear closed-toed shoes. They will help to take moisture from your feet, but keep them from soaking your shoes. When you feel your feet are wet, change your socks. Bring a pair to change into midday.
- Don’t wear the same shoes every day. If you have a particular shoe you wear to work, get 2 or 3 pairs so that you’re not wearing down one pair. Allow your shoes to dry out completely before wearing them again. It will help to reduce the bacteria growing in your shoes.
- Check your feet daily for any rashes, inflammation, or redness in case of infection.
If you’re not sure how to best deal with your foot odor or these at-home tricks don’t seem to work, make an appointment today. There’s also a possibility that you have a bacterial or fungal infection, which could also lead to an ulcer. Our podiatrists, Dr. Mark E. Reiner, Dr. Michael A. Haughey, Dr. William G. Coates, and Dr. Erik D. Rosenlof use the latest in diagnostics and treatment to find the right solution for your particular problem. Come see us at our Jonesboro, AR office.