It seems that even the rich and famous have their own share of physical flaws that they are trying to hide. And if this is true, Katie Holmes is one celebrity suffering from corns and calluses. Katie Holmes one of the most popular actresses in Hollywood is rumoured to have this foot condition.
What is corn and callus feet?
Corns and calluses are the painful thickening of the skin in areas with repeated pressure. Corns and calluses usually occur on areas of the feet. Calluses are referred to a more diffuse, flattened area of the thick skin while corn is characterized as dry, waxy, and translucent in appearance. They usually occur on feet that cause pain and discomfort when walking.
To understand more about corns and calluses, consult a podiatrist. The doctors of The Podiatry Group are podiatrists who specialize in helping people with foot skin disorders.
What are the causes of corns and calluses?
- Activities that put repeated pressure on the feet such as walking barefoot or running can lead to the development of corn and calluses.
- Foot deformities
- Improper walking motion
- Wearing of ill-fitting shoes
- Wearing high-heeled shoes are the worst offender
- Wearing shoes or sandals without socks
- Rubbing or pressure
- Dry skin
- Reduced fatty padding can cause soft corns or plantar calluses
What are some of the signs and symptoms of corns and calluses?
- The signs and symptoms of corn and calluses include:
- Thick, hard patch of the skin
- Area of flaky, dry skin
- Bump on the skin
- Pain or tenderness of the affected area
- Pain under the skin
What is the treatment of corn and calluses?
Always check with your podiatrist before treatment
- Corns and calluses can be treated with medicated products. Treating them involves the removal of pressure or friction and getting rid of the thickened skin.
- Wear comfortable flat shoes instead of high-heeled shoes
- Hard skin removal
- Use foot care products
- Special rehydration cream
- Silicone wedges that redistribute pressure
- Soft padding or foam insoles
- Protective corn plasters
- Over the counter products like salicylic acid is used to treat corns and calluses
- See a medical professional immediately if you are suffering from pain.
How to prevent corns and calluses?
Corns and calluses can be prevented by reducing or eliminating activities that can lead to increased pressure on the feet. By looking after your feet, you can help prevent corn and calluses.
- Choose the right shoes to wear.
- Dry your feet thoroughly after washing and apply a moisturizing foot cream.
- Wear a comfortable footwear that fits properly.
- Use a pumice stone or foot file to remove hard skin.
- See a podiatrist immediately if you are feeling pain.
At The Podiatry Group, located in Jonesboro, Walnut Ridge, Pocahontas and Cherokee Village, we specialize in helping people find relief from corns and calluses. To schedule an appointment call (870) 931-3338.